thoughts on daily life within our family of SIX....each child in her own phase of childhood....

Saturday, July 18, 2009

I Love Summer


I really do love it...time with my kiddos that seems hard to find during the school year, time for Daddy to hang out with the kiddos a little more. Dollar movies, vacation Bible school, swimming, more play time, crafts with the kiddos....what's not to love?

But where we live, heat is not a refreshing change from a long, icy winter. It is a way of life, with few exceptions. Where I live, most years have consisted of two seasons....summer and not quite as hot as summer.

Okay, that's a little extreme. Sometimes there is a need for a sweater when we go to evening mass on Christmas Eve. And my children have been known to wear gloves or mittens...when a local church ships in ice, I mean snow, during the Christmas season.

But now as I sit inside at 33 1/2 weeks pregnant with my darling girl already weighing in at 5 1/2-6 pounds, our a/c turned down to 65 degrees, I'm finding summer very oppressive. Even inside with the a/c turned down that low and the ceiling fans on, I'm hot. Sweating kind of hot. And I can think of nothing fun and exciting to do with the kiddos. Okay, nothing fun and exciting that my pregnant body wants to do.

My pregnant body especially doesn't want to do the laundry. My pregnant arms would rather just shut the door to the laundry room so that my pregnant eyes don't have to see all that laundry piled up on the floor (a lot of that laundry being the result of two or three showers that I am taking a day because I feel so sweaty).

And have I mentioned that I hate, hate, hate letting my children watch tv? I think I mentioned it here.

So I feel guilty when my children ask, "What can we dooooooooo?" And I feel guilty when my oldest daughter becomes a playwrite and directs her brother and sister in the play (I know I shouldn't; I know that's really what's good for them--to come up with something creative and fun to do, but I do feel like I should be directing every activity...)

And I already nested. Several weeks ago my hubby took the kiddos to see their grandparents, and I had a week of nesting. Everything was ready for this little bird to arrive when they came home. But she's not here yet.

Now I am behind in the laundry, and there are certainly a million things that I could do that I will surely be wondering why I didn't do once the little one arrives and there is sleep deprivation and the demand of caring for a newborn around the clock.

I think I'm whining.

But one more thing....did I mention that 2/3 of my children have strep? They've been on antibiotics for 2 days which is good because something fun for them is just around the bend.

Vacation Bible School starts Monday.

No comments: