thoughts on daily life within our family of SIX....each child in her own phase of childhood....

Monday, September 8, 2008

What Would She Do At Home?

Last night my hubby and I sat together and watched one of his favorite television shows. It's not a sitcom, and it's not a night-time soap, and it's...well, the little one calls it the news. And it is, but not the local kind. And you might say that the "anchor" leans in a certain political direction. And that is all I have to say about that. Because what I'm about to tell you really is not about my political leanings, although I'm not silly enough to tell you that I don't have any.

What I'm about to tell you really is about women and the disrespect that still exists within our gender, against others in our gender.

As my hubby and I sat snuggled up close on the couch, I heard Geraldine Ferraro speak about Sarah Palin and how wonderfully capable she is. She didn't talk about her stance on abortion, about her position on the war or any of the "issues"--they clearly disagree on those. But she gave a rousing testimony about her ability to succeed in the world of politics and elections.

And then, no doubt as part of her support (although certainly not political support) for this forty-four year old mom of five, Mrs. Ferraro criticized those who have criticized Mrs. Palin for not staying at home to raise her children.

Ferraro said, (and I'm paraphrasing, but not loosely) Really. She's a talented contributor. What would she do at home?

Simple, really. But that spoke volumes to me about where we really are in this country today. Women. Working outside the home and getting paid for it. Working at home--raising our children, taking care of our families--and not being paid for it.

I admire Mrs. Ferraro for all that she has done in her life. I may or may not agree with her politics, but I admire the fact that she was our first female VP candidate. But Mrs. Ferraro just tipped her cards. She still believes that staying at home to raise your family is for those who can't do anything else well.

"How can it be a large career to tell other people’s children about arithmetic, and a small career to tell one’s own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman’s function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness." ~GK Chesterton

**By no means am I criticizing Palin's choice not to stay at home to raise her family. My beef is with Ferraro.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll give that an Amen. Blessings, Whitney

Katrina said...

I've always loved that quote! And I totally agree. As women, we need to support each other, showing respect for every role that a woman fills in her life. In my view, the job you do as wife and mother pretty much trumps anything you're able do on top of that. Just from what I've read, I think Sarah Palin has shown that she knows how to balance the two. Besides, being a good mom is its own kind of executive experience!

mamatutwo said...

Absolutely...respect each other! And being a mom certainly is an executive experience!

You're so good, Katrina! I misspelled Palin's name and didn't spell check! Several times I've done that and come back to find that I've misspelled something or used incorrect grammar. Ughhhhhh! Me and all my talk about the spelling bee....

Membership Required said...

Oh that get's me fired up! I heard an interview with her earlier (after the announcement) and although she didn't say that she was for or against she did mention that she didn't think that just because Palin is a woman would she get the woman vote. I personally believe that she is still bitter she didn't win. Grin. Mmmm. I wonder what my wage might be? I think it should be at least 6 digits.

Jennifer said...

I would like to add the gravy to your beef! I am so tired of being told that "a mother's job as a mother is one of the hardest a woman will ever have", then in the same breath being told that being a stay at home mom must be nice - as if to say it would be so much easier! IT IS NICE, but the nice part is because of the benefits my children will receive by having me home. And yes, many of us work, but so many of us work around our children - from home or at their schools! I count it a blessing to be a SAHM, and wouldn't trade it for any amount of money - even when I have days like I did yesterday :)